Polly's Blog

Thank you for taking the time to come find my blog. Many people were asking me for recipes on Facebook, so this page was born. Please enjoy! If you have any suggestions for recipes to try or any comments about the food please either leave a comment here or email me at cucinapaulina@gmail.com. Mangia!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

mmmmm soup in summer? yes!

Well I was craving good summer vegis so i came up with this soup. I hope you enjoy it, I served it with home made buttermilk bread.

2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 sweet onion chopped
1 48 oz container low sodium chicken broth (or vegi)
1 cup leftover chicken chopped finely
2 cups each chopped tomatoes (seeded), okra (in one inch pieces), silver queen corn and lima beans
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp dried italian herbs
pesto for serving


In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil, cook garlic and onion until translucent
add all vegis, cook for 3-4 minutes. In a pinch use frozen vegis and canned tomatoes (no extra flavors added)
add chicken broth (or vegi) s&p and herbs
stir well, heat until boiling, cook at least 30 minutes

Spoon into bowls, top with a spoonful of pesto just before serving.


The bread is from the classic James Beard on Bread cookbook. I won't reproduce the recipe here because of copyrights, but I'm sure it can be found on the 'net (or ask me privately) I made it this morning, and one tip! The recipe says it makes one loaf, but it rose SOOO much on the second rising that I regretted not dividing the dough. This bread has a fabulous tangy flavor that has me wanting more. I seved it with lots of good Irish butter (thanks Sarah Collier)


No comments:

Post a Comment