Polly's Blog

Thank you for taking the time to come find my blog. Many people were asking me for recipes on Facebook, so this page was born. Please enjoy! If you have any suggestions for recipes to try or any comments about the food please either leave a comment here or email me at cucinapaulina@gmail.com. Mangia!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chicken Tabbouleh, SOOOO YUM!

I found this in one of my favorite magazines, Cooking Light. It is creamy and filling. The original called for chicken thighs that were cooked at the time. I dislike dark meat poultry, plus I like shortcuts, so I used shredded rotisserie chicken from Publix. They were running low and only had BBQ and Mediterranean I decided Med was a little more conducive to this recipe.This is a calcium, protein and fiber powerhouse. My sweet meat and potato loving, no "hippie food" father cleaned his plate so  Enjoy and Mangia!

1 1/4 cup water
1 cup bulgur wheat, rinsed (I got mine in the bulk section at Earth fare)
1tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 rotisserie chicken breasts, shredded and with skin removed
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper*
3 cups seeded chopped tomatoes (see note)
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup chopped mint
1 cup chopped green onion (I only used the green part)
1 tsp minced garlic (or double, I did)
1/4 cup tahini paste (at Publix it is with the Kosher food)
1/4 cup plain, low fat Greek style yougurt
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water

Combine water, oil, salt and bulgur in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heatand let simmer for 10 minutes (leave it alone!)  You are looking for an almost dry, but not totally dry texture. Remove from heat, fluff and let cool for 10 minutes.

While bulgur is cooking
 De-skin and shredd chicken, place in large bowl
Quarter and seed tomatoes, roughly chop.
Chop parsley, mint and green onions.
Toss all above with garlic in large bowl. Add pepper

In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, yougurt, lemon juice and water.

When bulgur is cooled, add to bowl, stir well. Add Tahini mixture and stir well. Makes 4 large servings
* PLEASE use fresh cracked black pepper, first of all it tastes better, second, it increases metabolism. Buy one of the pre filled grinders at the grocery.  They are under 5 dollars and the taste is SOOOO much better than the pre ground stuff.

Note: seeding tomatoes is as easy as falling off a log! With a sharp knife quarter the tom, place each quarter "flat" down and slice away core. Scoop out seeds with your fingers or the knife. Slice remainders and chop. Why do this? The seeds make recipes watery.


No comments:

Post a Comment