Polly's Blog

Thank you for taking the time to come find my blog. Many people were asking me for recipes on Facebook, so this page was born. Please enjoy! If you have any suggestions for recipes to try or any comments about the food please either leave a comment here or email me at cucinapaulina@gmail.com. Mangia!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chicken with lemon and olives with amazing yellow rice

OK, I admit it, I am a fan of Dr. Oz. Yesterday he had Andrew Weil and Deepak Chopra on, aka the New Age Triumvirate. I did pick up a few things, including their idea for the perfect anti-dementia spice blend. Theirs was 1 part turmeric, 2 parts dried sage and 3 parts ginger. Well, I hate sage, so I dumped it for this rice. This cut the sodium in a boxed rice mix by so much its crazy! The chicken is an old, and east favorite. I served with zucchini.

Chicken with lemon and olives

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut in half, pounded to 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flour
1/2 white onion, diced fine
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup white wine (I used a pinot)
1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 hands full green olives with pimentos
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 1/2 lemon
4 lemon slices

Heat skillet over medium high, add oil. Dust pounded chicken with flour. Sautee on both sides until lightly browned. Place in warm oven.

Add onion and garlic to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze with wine, cook for 2 more minutes. Add broth and turn up to high heat until boiling hard. Add zest, juice and olives. Cook until reduced by half. Add back chicken and juices. Serve over rice, top with lemon slice and sauce.

Yellow Rice, my way

1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp ground ginger

Rinse rice and add to broth and salt, add spices. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and cover. Cook for about 18 minutes until cooked through. This is good with almost anything!! I will be making chicken and rice soup with the leftover!


No comments:

Post a Comment