Polly's Blog

Thank you for taking the time to come find my blog. Many people were asking me for recipes on Facebook, so this page was born. Please enjoy! If you have any suggestions for recipes to try or any comments about the food please either leave a comment here or email me at cucinapaulina@gmail.com. Mangia!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ropa Vieja, "Old Clothes"

Ropa Vieja is one of Cuba's national dishes. You could serve this on a big split roll as a sandwich, or over rice as I did. This takes less than 5 minutes to prepare for the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, then shred.

3 pound bottom round roast
2 cans tomato sauce
5 cloves garlic
3 tbsp minced garlic
1 large sweet onion, sliced
3 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 bottle Guinness (my touch)

Trim ends of garlic, slice onion. Place in bottom of slow cooker with 1 can tomato sauce and seasonings. Place roast fat side down. Top with remaining sauce and Guinness. Cover and cook on high for 7-8 hours. Shred and serve.

Yellow rice

1 cup jasmine rice
2 cups water
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp turmeric

Follow directions for cooking rice, the kind I use says put everything in the pot, bring to a boil, stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes more until dry.

1 comment:

  1. I keep going back to this one, and playing with it. I have now settled on what I LOVE, add 2 tsp capers and 1 cup green olives towards the end of cooking :)

    ReplyDelete