Polly's Blog

Thank you for taking the time to come find my blog. Many people were asking me for recipes on Facebook, so this page was born. Please enjoy! If you have any suggestions for recipes to try or any comments about the food please either leave a comment here or email me at cucinapaulina@gmail.com. Mangia!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Creamed Spinach with baked Eggs and Bacon

I found the beginnings for this from my beloved Doctor, who told me last week "more iron, more protein". So when I saw this in Rachael Ray I said, YES. Of course I tweaked it a little!


Serves 3 (you could stretch and add 2 more eggs to serve 4)

6 slices bacon (I use thick cut Smithfield bacon)
6 eggs
2 bags fresh spinach
1/2 onion, diced fine
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 small block (3 oz?) cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream (I cheated and used fat free half and half)
salt and pepper
FRESH nutmeg, grated into spinach and on top of eggs
Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400. Place bacon on broiler pan and cook until crisp, turning several times.

In a large skillet, heat bacon renderings or olive oil. Add onion and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add pepper (and salt if desired). Add spinach slowly to wilt, add half a bag at a time, turning with tongs frequently. When all the spinach is added and wilted, drain the pan carefully of most of the liquid. Add cream cheese and stir until melted, then ass cream and nutmeg. Cook for 4-6 minutes until thick and bubbly. With the back of a spoon, make 6 indentations in spinach, add eggs into holes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and nutmeg. Put skillet in oven for 10 minutes for runny eggs, 15 for firm. Scoop 2 eggs into a bowl with spinach and serve with bacon on the side. We used french bread to sop up the sauce. Hot sauce could be added to the spinach!


No comments:

Post a Comment